Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Love The One You're With.

Harlem Flor - a sweet flower shop at 123rd and Fred Douglas Blvd.

As I announced in a previous post, I live in New York City.  Harlem, to be exact.  Though I have several "I Love New York" t-shirts, I can't say that I actually do.  New York is crowded, dirty, smelly, expensive, stressful, etc, etc.  I have lived here with my hubs for twelve years altogether (we had a two-year stint in our nation's capital), and this place still doesn't feel like home. I was born in the Midwest and raised in the South.  I consider myself a southerner, and the mid-sized Georgia town where I grew up is my home.  However, New York City - Harlem - is where I live and, most importantly, create.  Since God, literally, smiled on us this past weekend, the hubs and I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood as we have done many times before.  This time, though, I took my camera.


Standing on 125th looking south down Lenox Ave. The Empire State Bld. in the distance.

On 125th looking north up Lenox Ave. The blue and white building is Harlem Hospital.


On 125th Street, looking west towards the Apollo Theater.

Harriet Tubman Memorial at 122nd and Fred Douglas Ave.

An up-close pic of Harlem Flor.


Our fave place for cupcakes - Make My Cake at 116th and St. Nick.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Wow, I know that shop! And I know what you mean about New York. It is a big place, and it can be very hard to call it "home."