Monday, July 11, 2011

Keeping My Head Above Water


I'm volunteering as a GED writing teacher, and I spent the weekend creating a curriculum for the six-week program.  The ad for the position clearly stated that a curriculum and materials would be provided, but I was informed a day or so before the first class that I would have to turn in lessons for the remaining set of classes by Tuesday of the following week (tomorrow).  Although I've been out of the classroom for a while now, I'm still a teacher at heart, so I'm quite capable of creating a series of lessons and goals that will prepare adults to tackle the writing portion of the GED with respect for their strengths and anxieties.  I have a co-teacher for the one-day-a-week, two-hour course, which obviously means the responsibility is shared.  

But, I can't help but feel that the Universe (God) is sending me a message, but I'm not sure how to read it just yet. I've been out of the classroom for three years and have been job searching for almost two.  My Etsy shop turns five on August 14th (also my mother's birthday), but I can't say that it is a successful shop. In fact, I've come very near to closing it down several times in the last few months.  With the state of the economy and the eight million jewelry designers in the world, running a handmade jewelry business is difficult.  Yet, something keeps me going.  In the midst of all this, I'm now volunteering to do work that I used to get paid to do.  I'm not sure how to process it all.  

For now, I'm inspired by the messages in the paintings from artist, Faith Evans-Sills. She combines acrylic paint, ink, and positivity to create beautiful and spiritual affirmations.  Even her shop tag, "Art to Inspire the Soul," is in keeping with her purpose.  Remember -


And remember to - 


No comments: