Friday, July 8, 2011

Vintage Lust




I have a quiet, unspoken obsession with vintage clothing.  I've been in denial about it, but I've finally admitted it to myself and accepted it as fact. It dawned on me a while ago that I need to blame this on my mother.  When I was little, my mother would take me to second-hand or thrift stores for shoes, clothing, even household items.  There was one particular second-hand shoe store, Laura's, that we would go to almost every Sunday.  It was our little outing, and we would spend hours trying on shoes.  I was never embarrassed about wearing second-hand clothing, probably because my mother was and still is a genius at spotting quality (I even got the point where I could pick out things on my own; purses were an early addiction), which I understand is the distinction between the words "vintage" and "thrift."  I get it on a philosophical level but not always on an economic level.  

On Etsy, there are vintage shops in every price range, so I've managed to indulge my obsession fairly well.  The shops I go back to are those where the clothing is "old" but modern looking and can meld in with what I already have.  Anyway, the hardest thing for me to find is a skirt because...well, I'm not skinny and older cuts are smaller.  The above skirt, besides being gorgeous, has a 28-33" waist. I'm thinking I could squeeze in it so I pulled some of my other vintage "favorites" to make a couple of outfits.







In one outfit, I'd wear the skirt with this denim vintage Ralph Lauren shirt from Olive, this vintage straw bag from Omnia Wears (I had two of these in high school; loved them both), and this cute vintage loafer wedges from Fab Gabs (all on Etsy).





The second outfit would be the skirt, an adorable, oversized tan and white Gingham shirt and a classic, red vintage Coach satchel both from Pineapple Mint completed by these gorgeous vintage woven sandals from Omnia Wears. What are some of your favorite vintage shops/items on Etsy? 


No comments: