Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Athena"


...or Mikey to those of us who know and love her.  And believe me, to know Mikey is to love her.  As with Jackie, I met Mikey in college.  We were both communications majors, so we had a few classes together (we were also on the yearbook staff, but we ditched the staff photo... in the yearbook).  My undergraduate college was short on African American students, which often meant she and I were the only two pepper flakes in class.  Naturally, we were friendly, but I never thought we would be friends.  Like these earrings, Mikey is a true Gemini and all brass.  Although the pitch of her voice - cute and some what shrill - is not intimidating and her stature - little - won't make you shake in your boots, Mikey was, and is, tough.  Back then, she said what she felt to whomever needed to hear it, and I didn't think our personalities would gel.  When we became roommates the following year, I realized my assumptions were wrong.  Underneath the toughness, I found a funny, smart, introspective, loyal friend who was capable, at times, of an unnerving sweetness.  Add Jackie and Monica (more on her later), and my senior year of college is still one of the greatest times of my life.

Mikey and I are still friends.  While we have seen each other through a lot of life changes, there was a period when I was too selfish to allow her to be a real support to me at a difficult time, which almost ruined our friendship (long story).  I used to pride myself on being the strong one - putting aside my issues or problems to be fully available to my friends or never discussing things that were bothering me.  Mikey has taught me that the best friendships involve an even exchange of strength and vulnerability.  Vulnerability allows your friends to connect to you on a deeper level, to empathize greater.  She taught me that if you are not being vulnerable with those closest to you, then you are not really being your full self, which short changes everyone involved.  As I stated above, "Athena" is tough and can endure just about anything.  But don't let the toughness fool you :-)

No comments: