Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Tierra"



My niece.  The oldest of my brother's children.  When she was born, I was a fifteen year old, nerdy high school sophomore who was into musicals and "21 Jump Street" (yes, I'm that old). That didn't stop fate from temporarily moving her crib into my teenage bedroom and waking me up for early morning feedings and diaper changes before I got myself ready for Homeroom.  For various stretches throughout her formative years (and beyond), she lived with my parents and me, and I got to watch this adorable baby develop as babies do - potty training, learning to speak, walking.  I was fascinated and completely in love.  Because I was such a kid myself at the time, watching her grow felt more like watching my little sister grow.

That little baby is now a young woman struggling through her 20s.  Though she has had her share of hardships, she has a strength of will I only wish I had at her age (and truthfully, at my age).  She has a long way to go, but through it all she is...fun, a little edgy, a little girly, and always makes a statement (click on highlighted descriptions for Etsy listing).



The "Tierra" in Antique Brass.


The "Tierra" in Vintage Copper.

No comments: