Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Writing What I know - The Truth About Fires

As I alluded in Monday's post, I have a habit of quitting things - jobs, art programs, hobbies - before their true benefits have revealed themselves (or maybe just when their consequences are revealed).  I always start things with excitement and a focused commitment.  Inevitably, though, I become bored? Disillusioned? Disappointed?

After a very recent string of bad decisions and even worse luck (and because I'm big on introspection), I started wondering where and how my tendency to quit began.  How did this fatal flaw develop?  What is its origin?  Could I recall the very first incident of my quitting habit, and therefore, figure out a way to stop myself from ever doing it again?  These questions are the foundation for my story, The Truth About Fires

While the story has some autobiographical elements, it is a work of fiction.  Since I am obeying that familiar advice to writers, I rely on my experiences to fuel my story ideas.  So far, I haven't quit ;-)

No comments: